The Joy of Drawing for Beginners & BeyondWith Barbara Zanelli
January 26 – March 22, 2024
A nine (9) session course
In our winter session we will continue to explore line and tone, the basic elements of drawing. You will be introduced to some different toning techniques and when to use them. Some of the subject matter you’ll get to practice with are candles and perhaps a fireplace with masonry around it, perfect for lighting away the winter blues!
You’ll be introduced to perspective through drawing landscapes, such as a farm with a barn or a woodland walk. We will spend some time on how to draw trees winter being the perfect time to study “tree anatomy.”
Most of all, the emphasis will be on drawing for relaxation and enjoyment. The skills you will simply pick up along the way!
Key topics covered:
– intuitive perspective
– shading techniques
– understanding values/tones
– techniques for achieving accurate proportions when you want them
– drawing for relaxation and fun
This class is recommended for those who took Intro to Drawing: First Steps, or anyone who is looking to further hone their drawing skills.
Note: The spring edition of this class will highlight drawing animals, flowers and plants.
• Drawing pad or sketchbook with white paper (any size)
• Quality tracing paper that you can see through easily
• Set of pencils from 2H to 8B or buy a few key singles such as: 2H, HB or F, 2B, 4B, 6B, 8B
• Pencil sharpener
• Kneaded eraser
• Mono zero eraser (a small retractable eraser pen)
• Rectangular white eraser or pink pearl eraser
• Ruler 6” is good